Prev: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications Next: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

From: Symon Cook <Symon@e...>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:00:26 +0000
Subject: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

In article <20021205052748.20414.qmail@web12305.mail.yahoo.com>, John
Atkinson <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> writes

>1)If you have an elite commando on the table, you're
>using 'em wrong.  SOF do NOT belong at the FEBA where
>people drive tanks around.  They belong way behind
>enemy lines where the enemy doesn't have anyone
>capable of putting up a fight.

It's not a common situation I grant you. Basically, I'm throwing up the
extreme cases which seem to be revealing ambiguities in the rule. So
far, everyone seems to have a slightly different interpretation, often a
sign of a rule that needs clarifying.

>2)If the unit's morale is broken, the unit's morale is
>broken.  It's not going to improve spontaneously.

There are cases of it doing so. For example units coming under heavy
fire, breaking, getting clear and then going back in.

>> Hmm, I get the impression I must be the only person
>> to ever bother much
>> about this. (Sorry).
>
>Don't apologize.  OO is right--this is a case where
>house rules come into play.
>
>DSII assumes one C2 element is sufficient for the
>whole battlefield because the BN/BDE HQ as adequate
>information management assets to individually control
>each platoon and so the company level is not a
>fighting headquarters, just an administrative thang.

Yeah, but I like to have different forces use different doctrines,
including very different organizations sometimes.

>Most people assume otherwise and organize their units
>in conventional company formations (for more examples
>than you really want, see the NRE homepage).  I take
>this as far as having a C2 vehicle at the company
>level, and no less than 5 at the BN level.

Sounds good to me. What House Rules do you use with this? (If any).
Cheers
--
Symon Cook (founder member of Camros)(The Campaign for Real Operating
Systems).

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Prev: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications Next: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications