Prev: RE: [FAQ] FH what? Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications Next: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 1

Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:04:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:

>  >Are you saying the K'V are more or less balanced
> in vector?
>
> The KV are considerably weaker in Vector than they
> are in Cinematic, yes (or, at least, than they are >
in Cinematic played on large or floating tables
> simulating unlimited space). More accurately, the KV
> *themselves* don't change all that much - it is how
> their *enemies* change from Cinematic to
> Vector which has the biggest impact.

Hrmm. . . I dunno.  Seems to me that when Fleet Book 2
first came out, I was not the only one that felt the
K'V were extremely powerful, and even questioned the
balance thereof.  Maybe my memory is faulty, but there
were a lot of battle reports which indicated the K'V
walked through standard designs pretty easily.	Now
that people have largely learned to adapt to their
oddities (and have gotten over the fact that a single
capital ship weapon inflicts 10 points of damage if it
hits, and yes I know there's a 1/6 chance of it only
doing 5) there's hubub about them being too costly?

> If your "KV hunters" attempt to move in *Cinematic*,
> they're dead meat to
> the Kra'Vak - too unmanoeuvrable to keep the KV in
> their own (F) arcs, and
> also too unmanoeuvrable to stay out of the *KV* (F)
> arcs for very long.

OK, I'll buy that.  Sounds to me like K'V should be
hell on wheels in Cinematic.  They are still tough
against your standard warships in Vector, just not
overpowering.

> If you play Vector, then the KV force can quite
> safely hang around at range
> 25-30 mu; at that range every K-gun in the fleet can
> hit the human ships,
> and the humans can only reply with a small fraction
> of their own firepower.

I've heard of this but never seen it in practice.
Usually we end up closing because we begin on
converging vectors in scenario setup.  Hanging back
only works if you've got more speed, and your opponent
doesn't mind.  Otherwise you end up having to go
through some gyrations.

> If you play Cinematic on a small table, ie. one
> where you can't manoeuvre
> outside the enemy's weapon envelope, the Kra'Vak are

This I've never done.  Always been floating.  Of
course, 90%+ of my opponents are old SFB players so
floating tables are no big deal to them.

John

http://mailplus.yahoo.com