Prev: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams Next: [FT] Tugs n Tenders

Re: [OT] Canadian's finally reward vets of Medak Pocket

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 05:06:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Canadian's finally reward vets of Medak Pocket

--- Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@magma.ca> wrote:
> Things came to mind reading these:
> 1) It's nice to have firepower (Canadian APCs
> might have been better off with a chaingun in
> the 25-30mm range and a Hellfire or TOW
> system)

Definitely, although IMHO those weapons systems belong
on different vehicles.	Your troop carriers provide
close-range firesupport with autocannon, while your
tank destroyers sit back with ATGMs.

> 2) Blue is great for peacekeeping. When the
> bullets start flying, it'd be nice to have some
> camo helmet covers or a phototrophic paintjob
> on the old eggshell helmet/target.

Which raises the question--why didn't they have some
regular helmet covers?	I know if I had to paint my
Kevlar baby blue, I'd take a standard cover with me.

> 3) Bringing the international media to bear is a
> potent weapon in such conflicts where evils
> occur mostly unnoticed....

The media got bored with the Balkans.

Of course, Lesson 4: The UN doesn't have the
credibility to do these things.  For every PPLI,
there's some 'peacekeeper' from the third world or
some weenie Euro nation[1] with no heavy weapons and
ROE that doesn't permit holding firefights.  You
notice when NATO went in with camoflaged vehicles,
tanks, and air support very visible we didn't have
these problems.  It's good to have disciplined and
trained troops to defeat the enemy.  It's better to
scare them shitless (alternate spelling of 'deter') so
you don't have to.

John
[1]I'm not naming names.  If the shoe fits, wear it.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams Next: [FT] Tugs n Tenders