Prev: Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal Next: [SG] Converting the ASLers

Paint stripping

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 03:41:51 -0500
Subject: Paint stripping

Here is an interesting sight. It makes some
interesting points about paint stripping:

http://www.bonediggers.com/1-3/strip/strip.html

Specifically, he tried a bunch of models made of
styrene and different strippers. And some of
the surface effects sound not desireable
(dulling) in some cases.

Additionally, I saw a commentary elsewhere
(The link Chris sent me)
http://www.leadership10.com/misc/blog/zap/week14.htm
and this link talked about the problems with
leaving minis soaking in the various fluids (some
interesting effects after prolonged exposure on
the white metal figures including the hardening
of the little remaining paint after long term
immersion in brake fluid)

Additionally, the GW figures are some type of
styrene FWIW. I don't know what armourcast
uses for Resin, but they say you can strip the
paint off it using anything that will strip styrene,
as the resin is less solvent vulnerable. I assume
DLDs resin is perhaps something on the same
order? David, care to chip in with a comment
or do I have to chase you down? (God knows, I
might have to strip some of my Kamodos or
Civets one day).

I think, in order, we have:
1. Floquil Easy Lift Off
2. Castrol Super Clean
3. Simple Green
4. Brake Fluid
5. Pine Sol

Note the pine sol will apparently damage some
types of surface.... though what particular
plastics or resins this affects I'm unsure.

Since this is a little longer term project (I only
have about 500 unpainted GZG figs, so
worrying about repainting the painted 200 is
silly), I will post the results I obtain on
stargrunt.ca. I'll try to attempt several of these
methods on older lead figures (from the
Grenadier lines), Ral Partha Battletech
Troopers, some future warriors (complete with
plastic slottabases), and some of my
armourcast and epicast resins as well. And my
styrene Genestealers. All that ought to generate
some reasonable empirical data.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal Next: [SG] Converting the ASLers