Prev: Re: Seriously [OT] Fundamentalists in general Next: Re: Seriously [OT] Fundamentalists in general

Re: Veering [OT] Fundamentalists in general, was RE: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:24:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Veering [OT] Fundamentalists in general, was RE: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:

> >"A usually religious movement or point of view
> >characterized by a return to fundamental
> principles,
> >by rigid adherence to those principles, and often
> by
> >intolerance of other views and opposition to
> >secularism."
>
> I'm glad to say that I'm not abusing the word, then
> - thanks to the
> "usually" and "often", this definition fits the
> eco-fundamentalists I'm
> talking about perfectly :-) They certainly treat
> ecology like a religion...
> including believing in Holy Scripts which are
> heavily biased towards their
> particular point of view, and all that <g>

Very true.  Like I always say, Militant Atheism,
Secular Humanism, and Environmentalism are as much
religions as Buddhism, Shinto, or Judaism.  They
require you to accept on faith a cosmological view
that is inherently unprovable.

John

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: Seriously [OT] Fundamentalists in general Next: Re: Seriously [OT] Fundamentalists in general