Prev: RE: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps Next: Re: Seriously [OT] Fundamentalists in general

Veering [OT] Fundamentalists in general, was RE: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:34:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Veering [OT] Fundamentalists in general, was RE: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps

--- "laserlight@quixnet.net" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
wrote:
> >Fundamentalists can be decidedly extreme regardless
> of what they're
> fundamental in ;)
>
> <g> *Anyone* can be extreme, if they disagree with
> you.
>
> I think the word you want is "radical" rather than
> "fundamentalist".  :-)

True.

Fundamentalist is among the top ten most abused words
in the English language at this time.

"A usually religious movement or point of view
characterized by a return to fundamental principles,
by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by
intolerance of other views and opposition to
secularism."

I dislike referring to anyone as a fundamentalist.
Islamic fundamentalism is more or less the mainstream
interpretation of that religion, so I save five
syllables by simply saying "Islam" or "Muslims".  And
so-called Christian fundamentalists generally spout
not historical Christianity of the early Apostolic
period, but a more recent heretical variation.

John

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Prev: RE: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps Next: Re: Seriously [OT] Fundamentalists in general