Prev: Re: [SG] Bounding movement Next: More ETT

ETT

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 19:13:02 -0500
Subject: ETT

OO said:

Sure, they are. But they only move at two-three *hundred* mph,
whereas the long-distance ETT capsules are supposed to move at four
*thousand* mph... from a kinetic-energy point of view that's a rather
significant difference.

[Tomb] True. A concern if you have it moving through cities. If not,
then it isn't such a big deal (in that, at 300 mph, you can easily
kill everyone on the train, so doing 4000 kph isn't going to be any
worse in that regard, so the only extra danger is to the
surroundings).

>4. It has traditionally been far more efficient to move mass by rail
than >by truck or plane (by a
>long shot) - and this method looks even more energy efficient.

In addition to KHR's comments, you forgot one very important factor:
rail is "far more" efficient *iff* it goes *all the way to the final
destination*.

[Tomb] This I think is more a character of the type of cargo than
even of the destination issue. After all, at worst, your truck leg is
no worse than a part of an overall truck transport route. (Counting
the transfer cost separately). So if the train part is much cheaper,
and transport costs reasonable, then you are still better off.

OO:
 If you need to use a truck even a short way of the distance
(ie., to and from the railway terminals), the efficiency of the
combined rail-truck system drops very fast - which is one of the
major reasons why long-distance trucking is common even on routes
where there's a railway line available.

[Tomb] I think you'll find a lot of these exist for a number of
reasons including the distribution of rail transported cargos to
areas not directly serviced by rail. And containerization, where
feasible, goes a long long way to speeding up transfers and reducing
the expense associated therewith.

 In spite of the gains from container systems, the transfers
from truck to train and from train to truck often cost you more than
you gain by using railway for the vast majority of the distance :-(

[Tomb] I guess that depends where you are. I believe in Canada, when
I last heard, the difference was pronounced. If you're moving
something from Toronto or Ottawa to Vancouver or Edmonton, you are
best off with a train. And trains can carry cargos that trucks can't
attempt due to load restrictions.

Prev: Re: [SG] Bounding movement Next: More ETT