Prev: Re: 25mm Building available Next: Overwatch

ETT

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:21:09 -0500
Subject: ETT

KHR said:

Right. But then you don't need to build a tunnel to reduce air
resistance. As far as I can see, reducing air resistance is the main
advantage of the proposed tunnel scheme.

[Tomb] On a vaccuum plantoid like our moon, it might offer dust
protection for the mechanism.

You didn't mention two factors:

* the speed of the transport. Basically, you can move stuff cheaply
and slowly or fast and expensively. Conventional rail is very slow -
slower than trucks over almost any distance. Depending on your
specific goods and the costs of delays in delivery, it can be more
profitable to move stuff by air.

[Tomb] Really? I'd say that depends a lot on your situation. Take the
early Canadian Prairies. Trucks didn't really have too many roads and
the train could get going a fair clip.

[Tomb] Some goods have time-to-deliver issues that make air viable.
For things that do not, sea or rail transport over long distances are
cheaper.

[Tomb] The majority of goods in the world are moved by sea. It is by
far the largest total tonnage. I think you'll find rail is #2.

* the cost of investment, which has to be offset by the income from
the transports. If the tunneling is so expensive that 90% of the
transport price goes for servicing the debt from the original
investment, it won't help if actually operating the train costs next
to nothing.

[Tomb] What about an external tube structure? Not necessary to incur
tunneling expenses. What if I can tunnel very much more cheaply than
current tech?

A specific example of this is the Transrapid Maglev train project in
Germany. Nifty technology, but the cost of building the track was
such that it could not be operated profitably even under very
optimistic assumptions.

[Tomb] Given current tech. Given some advances, maybe that
changes.....

Prev: Re: 25mm Building available Next: Overwatch