Prev: Re: [semi-OT] webpage colours was RE: [FH, FICTION] Karla's Kidnap (a nd Rot Hafen) Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1389

Limited Info Wargaming

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 21:32:46 -0500
Subject: Limited Info Wargaming

Reading Death Valley AAR and the comments from Roger about why he
held back (not knowing that he had Chris on the ropes).... in an odd
episode of synchronicity, I was watching TV last night and saw a
really neat program on the battle for Goose Green.

In it, they talked about the shortcomings of the UK commander (how he
got sucked into the battle at A company's position rather than
maintaining the big picture and ended up getting killed... think he
still got a big medal though...).

But one of the most interesting points they brought out was that when
the Argentinians in Goose Green (the village) surrendered, they did
so because they felt they had failed to hold some of the key
objectives which the UK took and so they were defeated and surrender
was the sensible course. After the UK commander was killed in the
fighting, the Paras rallied and took some key objectives to allow
them to surround Goose Green. But THEY thought they'd failed in their
objectives (to capture Goose Green). They offered the Argies a chance
to surrender out of moxie/bluff, and the Argentinians bit.

Turned out to be a damn good thing too. Instead of finding 100 or so
Argentinians, they found many times that number in Goose Green. Urban
combat there would have been rather a shock for the Paras.

So it just goes to show that where intel is limited, people make
vastly different decisions about how to procede.

T.

PS - The doco was pretty well done and gave good credit to some of
the Argentinian soldiers. And it had a soft spot in my heart because
the Paras were all lugging SLRs (FN C1 to me.... the weapon I trained
on!) and they had weight issues with weapons and ammo..... (something
I can relate to, having carried FN C1/C2 and the 7.62 FMJ ammo)