Prev: RE: [SG] Smoke Next: [SG2] PBEM AAR - Valley of Death - PBEM Rules - 2 of 5

[SG2] PBEM AAR - Valley of Death - Introduction - 1 of 5

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:08:47 -0600
Subject: [SG2] PBEM AAR - Valley of Death - Introduction - 1 of 5

This is an After Action Report for a Stargrunt II game I ran from mid
summer
until last week. This game was a "blind" game played entirely by e-mail,
with
the "board" and information being processed and maintained in Microsoft
Excel.

Due to the length of this AAR, I'm going to split it into five parts:
this
introduction, the PBEM rules we used, the new SG2 rules we were
playtesting,
the player's mission TO&E and mission objectives, and finally, the
report
itself.

If you want to see the rules we used for making PBEM games possible,
check out
part 2. If you want to see the special rules we were playtesting, check
out
part 3. Otherwise, jump straight into part 5 for the commentary. You can
reference part 4 if you want to see what each side had (though it will
be
fairly obvious from the diagrams in part 5).

I had a great time, and both players (Chris DeBoe as the IF, and Roger
West as
the NSL) were wonderful to deal with. They seemed to enjoy it, too.

The scenario was an attack over ridges by the NSL against a defensive
position
of four bunkers held by the IF. What the NSL didn't know was that the IF
knew
of the attack ahead of time and were ordered to prepare a spoling
attack.

Hopefully Roger and Chris will pop in with their own comments, or they
will
let me repost the comments they made within our PBEM group.

This AAR is done in the style of Avalon Hill's "Series Replay" articles
in
_The General_ magazine. That is, I did a critique of each players after
each
turn. It's important to remember that I have a "god's view" of the
situation.
Only the players themselves can state what they were thinking when they
were
playing.

http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: RE: [SG] Smoke Next: [SG2] PBEM AAR - Valley of Death - PBEM Rules - 2 of 5