Prev: Re: [SG] Smoke Next: RE: [SG] Smoke

Re: [SG] Smoke

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:42:55 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG] Smoke

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:10:38 -0500, Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>Perhaps a quality test to make sure that the suppressed team is able
>to use the smoke effectively? After all, you'd expect veterans to be
>able to react to the fire better and throw the smoke in the axis of
>attack and where they'll be wanting to maneuver to. Greens on the
>other hand, might throw it the wrong direction and have to pop
>another one to make up when they realize the wind is blowing the
>wrong direction for where the smoke grenade landed.

I think the easiest way to do this is a QD roll to see if the smoke
deviates,
as per an artillery drop. The rules state that smoke could be placed
anywhere
within 6" of a unit. If the unit is suppressed, let them place the smoke
but
make a QD test to see if it lands where they want. If not, deviate it,
let's
see... D4 inches is probably more realistic than D6.

With this situation, you may get a suppressed unit throwing smoke so
poorly
that it doesn't do much good at all.

Personally, I think in the next game I play I'll try letting suppressed
units
throw smoke as per the rules while suppressed, without testing
deviation. I
want to see if it really is overpowering. As I mentioned to Yves, I
think it's
likely to be the Suppression 2s that drop it more than any other unit.
Maybe
Suppression 3s, but I find Sup 3s don't get the same volume of fire on
them
(unless the enemy doesn't have any better targets available) as Sup 2s.
Since
smoke goes away at the end of a turn, A Sup 3 popping smoke means that
it's
still likely to have Sup 2 on it by the time the smoke clears.

http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: [SG] Smoke Next: RE: [SG] Smoke