Prev: RE: Mine Probing Next: Re: AAR

RE: Mine Probing

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 03:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Mine Probing

--- Scott Siebold <gamers@ameritech.net> wrote:

> The Russians developed an  air dropable anti
> personnel mine that had
> a plastic casing. It was camouflaged and was of a
> somewhat unusual shape
> (non aerodynamic to slow it down?) and it was used
> in Afghanistan. Kids
>  being what they are would see plastic green(?)
> colored thing and pick
> it up.

PFM-1.

However, I don't doubt that Serb children do the same
thing with green metal balls dispensed by US cluster
munitions.  Kids in a war zone are pretty much screwed
no matter who's dropping what.	They havn't got the
common sense to not put UXO in their mouths (of course
neither do a lot of adults, apparently).  You make it
Firetruck Red, shaped like a V-1 rocket, and print
"DANGEROUS" in six-inch letters, and kids will still
mess with it.

> If  I remember correctly the US scat mine is
> designed to self distrust
> after a fixed time has passed.

True.  All US scatmines have SD feature.

John

http://faith.yahoo.com

Prev: RE: Mine Probing Next: Re: AAR