Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Book 2 questions Next: RE: Mine Probing

Re: [FT] Fleet Book 2 questions

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:41:39 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Fleet Book 2 questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Wong" <sax@soundingrocket.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 12:33 PM
Subject: [FT] Fleet Book 2 questions

> 1. FB2, page 4: ...any fighter carrying ship may only RECOVER fighter
> groups equal to HALF its number of operational fighter bays in any one
> turn.
> When figuring HALF, do you round up or round down?  Or do you save the
> fraction and carry it over to the next turn?

It doesn't say.  I'd suggest deciding together with your friends ahead
of
time and make sure everyone's clear on it before you play, so that you
can
avoid in-game arguments with the rules lawyers.

> 2. FB2, page 4 lists different fighter types.  I noticed that in an
> earlier book, these types can be mixed and matched.  For example, you
> can have a long-range attack fighter.  However, FB2 doesn't mention
> mixing these types.  Is mixing the types not allowed any more?

Again, no explicit statement in the books either way.  It _is_ somewhat
implied in the second books that you can't by the fact that each type
has
its own complete cost rather than one that looks like an add-on, but it
isn't 100% clear that you can't still do that.	Clear it up with house
rules.

Just on the off chance that you're interested, I'll give you my
experience
with it.  When we first got MT we permitted any and all combinations.
It
quickly became clear to us that heavy interceptors would shred
everything
else you could carry in a fighter bay, but then we discovered a nasty
paper-rock-scissors situation.	Carriers with HIs would beat carriers
without, carriers without would beat battleships, and battleships would
beat
carriers with HIs.  We felt that this detracted a great deal from the
playing quality of the game, so we eventually came to a house rule
agreement
that we could use any combination of fighter upgrades other than "heavy
plus
interceptor".

In FB2, we've gone both ways.  When we play one-offs, we usually don't
permit them.  When we play scenario games, though, we usually do have
them
in there somewhere.

(aka Stilt Man)

Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Book 2 questions Next: RE: Mine Probing