Prev: Re: [DS2] Artillery vs Minefields Next: Re: Roger's Quiz

Re: [DS2] Question About Spotting Mine Fields

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:12:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS2] Question About Spotting Mine Fields

--- Jakim Friant <jmodule@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > That's a really low density.  What's the depth?
> > A disrupt minefield should have a PE of about
> >.5.
>
> Density? PB?	I have no clue about that... I was

Engineer-speak.

Density = # mines per meter of front.

PE = Probability of Encounter.	The odds that a tank
driving a straight line through the minefield would
hit a mine.  1 in 4 real:dummy ratio means that for a
minefield one row of counters thick, you'd have a .25
PE which in my book counts as little worse than a
phony minefield anyway.  I'd breach it in-stride using
maneuver elements.

> Going by the rest of your description (and after
> looking at the rules again) it would seem that an
> engineer unit would be needed to determine for sure
> if
> a mine field was live or not (and to make disarming
> attempt if it was live).

No, anyone can tell if it's live.  Only engineers can
do so safely (ie from a distance).

Also note that it would be breaching, not disarming.
Disarming is for EOD types.  We breach.

> I think it is sufficient to model the other types of
> discovery just by have a counter on the table in the
> first place.

True, that.

John

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: [DS2] Artillery vs Minefields Next: Re: Roger's Quiz