Prev: Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo Next: Re: [OT] Sea Lanes was: Liberals

Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 02:37:12 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals

At 11:28 PM -0500 9/15/02, Don M wrote:

>I think the term "massive" in tribal wars is a bit of
>a misnomer. Yes the tribal strife is back but, given
>the colonial practice of using a minorities as the police
>force	and as troops certainly didn't help. Further the
>advent of western weapons and military practices really
>has brought the old tribal wars a new and far deadlier
>dimension. As for tribal traditions of murder and slavery
>we don't have to look at the former European colonies,
>there are a few spots in Europe that come to mind as
>meeting those same conditions.

Don, the Hindus and Muslims weren't attacking each other with
Churchill tanks. They were using swords, sticks and what rare
firearms were at hand. The riots were large enough to be massively
deadly based on sheer numbers.

>The point being this, when you strip away all the high
>sounding words war is at it base  theft. You are ether
>trying to steal by force of arms or prevent that theft by
>those same arms. Humans bolt on the suitable
>ideology later to help them sleep at night.

Different age. I had a conversation on this subject with a chap from
Malasia about this very subject a few weeks back.

The colonial-ism mode of the 16th and 17th centuries changed to that
of the 20th century where at least in the case of the British, the
government actively did what it could to do better for the people in
its power. The chap I specifically spoke with stated that he felt
Malaysia was better for having been a colony of the British. Far
better than say of the French, Dutch or Belgians. The British left a
lasting legacy of technology, education and infrastructure that
allowed the country to jump off from that point and continue.

Many post colonial era problems in parts of the world are in spite of
Britain's efforts to leave the country in good standing and in
working order. India had its problems due to the long standing strife
between different peoples. HM's government probably made the peaceful
existence of so many people possible due to the fact that they
weren't under the rule of local royalty. I have to wonder what M
Ghadi would think if he saw how Pakistan and India were aiming Nukes
at each other. He might think rule by the British wasn't so bad after
all.

Zimbabwe has slowly slid into a clusterfuck despite British good
intentions. One could say the same of Palestine/Israel to a more
limited extent (in some ways I think the Israeli's are getting back
100 fold the bread they cast at the British). Of course neither
resemble the complete and utter messes that became of the Belgian
Congo and other parts of Africa when those colonial powers pulled up
root and left.
--
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo Next: Re: [OT] Sea Lanes was: Liberals