Prev: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds Next: Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo

[OT] Wargamers was: Personal hoody-hoo

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:05:40 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: [OT] Wargamers was: Personal hoody-hoo

John Atkinson schrieb:
> > Wargamers tend, as a very general rule, to be more
> > conservative than some other groups.

Guess it depends on where you live. Around here, the average is
probably slightly left-of center. With a wide spread, but no real loony
left or radical right.

Mostly because most wargamers have a rather high level of education,
which correlates with left-leaning or at least liberal (in the EU
sense) tendencies.

> Yeah--it's an expensive hobby.  It attracts people
> with jobs.

It also requires free time, which is not always compatible with a job
(especially for people with job_S_ ;-)

> It also generally requires at least a little historical knowledge.

Unless you play SF games :-)
Especially those promoted by a company I won't name.

> That's a conservative. :)

Marxists can be pretty knowledgeable about history too. They just
interpret it differently ;-)

Overeducated, jobless and too much money on their hand could also make
a wargamer - or a looney left ;-)

> > Regardless of political stripe, most of the wargamers I've met are
more
> > thoughtful about military matters than non-wargamers
> > from similar parts of the spectrum.
>
> That pretty much goes without saying.

Mostly, but not always. On some E-mail wargaming lists I have read
postings by people who seemed pretty serious about dropping nukes at
the slightest provocation - and not in a game :-(

Guess I've stepped on everybody's toes now... :-)

In Deckung !
Karl Heinz