Prev: Re: [DS] House Rule Ideas Next: Re: Why Arabs Loose ... Was Re: Test

Re: [DS] House Rule Ideas

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:16:25 +1200
Subject: Re: [DS] House Rule Ideas

Beth wrote:
> Point Defense Systems (PDS)
> Enhanced and Superior PDS may fire at artillery in addition to
missiles.
Any unit within the beaten zone of an artillery strike with enhanced or
superior PDS may use it to try and knock down the round. The target
vehicle
rolls a die based on the level of its PDS (D4 for enhanced, D6 for
superior)
and the artillery player uses a die based on the size of the artillery
round
(D8 for light, D10 for heavy artillery). If the target vehicle roll
exceeds
the artillery roll then the artillery shell has been shot down.

I like the idea, but I dislike the change in dice types. How about
keeping
the PDS quality dice the same, and rolling a dice type corresponding to
the
number of chits drawn for the artillery size? Like:
Chits Dice Type
1     D4
2     D6
3     D8
4     D10
5     D12

If the PDS die roll is larger than the artillery die roll, the target is
unaffected by the artillery damage; the PDS has successfull destroyed
those
submunitions targeting this element (vehicle). Surrounding elements can
still be affected by the artillery if their PDS is unsuccessful in
defending
them.

For a ZAD/ADS element, a successful ZAD die roll (versus artillery size
as
above) destroys the artillery shell while in flight; one burst area of
effect is removed. If the artillery was firing an open sheaf, this can
break
the sheaf into two parts. If trying to destroy more, then use the
procedure
for shooting at multiple GMS by ZAD. -- Which I can't quite recall at
the
moment.

> Glide Bombs
> At any point in the aerospace fighter's path of flight the release of
glide bomb may be declared. These bombs may be fired at any point of
impact
within 60" of that point in the flight path and must be within the front
180
degree arc of the fighter at that point in the flight path. Once
released
the Glide Bomb may be targeted by LADs, ZADs and the PDS of any unit
within
1" of the point of impact.

This seems overly powerful. I'd allow any LAD, ZAD/ADS, PDS in range of
the
glide bomb's flight path to fire, as if the glide bomb were a very slow
GMS.
As for points cost, I'd suggest from 5 to 10 points in addition to the
DFO
cost, IMHO.

> Crew Driven Vehicle Mounts (OK I don't know what the real name is and
Derek isn't here)

Manual control? I'm not sure myself.

> Certain weapons may be controlled and fired by crewmen physically
directing the weapon in the direction they want. If this is the case
treat
these weapons as having a MANUAL FCS. These weapons use a D6 at Close
Range,
a D4 at medium and can not bring effective fire at long range.

I'd use Crew Quality minus one dice type for Close Range, and Crew
Quality
minus two dice type for Medium Range, and no chance at Long Range. So a
Veteran crew (D10) fires at D8 at close range, and D6 for medium range.

> If the weapon in question is a vehicle mounted APSW, treat it as if it
were with an infantry unit (i.e. the player should dice for FIRE
EFFECTIVENESS).

I agree with this. Also the crew would be affected AP fire directed at
them,
like infantry in cover.

Andrew Martin
ICQ: 26227169 http://valley.150m.com/