Prev: Re: New OUDF website Next: [OT] GPS politics

Re: Submarines was Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart!

From: devans@n...
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:54:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Submarines was Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart!

***
Scale. Well, haven't really worked that all out, but am looking for
subs approximately the same size as FT ships. The idea I'm working
on is to put together an underwater scenario for ECC VI, using the
AquaZone info as inspirational reference material:

http://www.quantchem.kuleuven.ac.be/research/fysanal/members/bv/GAMES/AQ
UAZONE/aquap.html

***

Okiefanokie! Scale was probably the wrong term, on further thought. Raw
size is better, and now I've an idea of what you're thinking.

The some of micromachines are still available, and there are similar, if
larger, Hot Wheels items. Also, some 1/72 and 1/48 aircraft ordinance
kits
have bombs that can give you the basic teardrop shaped hulls of more
modern
subs, and the fins off of one bomb/rocket might work for a 'sail' on the
'hull' of another bomb/rocket. The question becomes, can you find a
close
enough size.

If you want futuristic sub 'fighters', the way the Stingrays are used,
some
of the weirder rockets, especially the canard-equiped, might be
exciting.

I noticed that the article's game used fairly large models as escorted
targets. There were several model sets released close to Hunt for Red
October, both licensed and opportunistic. The LA and Akula are
relatively
small ships, maybe an inch in diameter for the larger, but the Typhoon
is a
MONSTER.

Even now, these seem to pop up here and there. Likewise, if you see a
full
Space Shuttle kit, the fuel tank is a possibility.

You DO promise to share your FT ideas, right? I noticed the link to the
FT-derived rules has gone doggo...

The_Beast

Prev: Re: New OUDF website Next: [OT] GPS politics