Prev: RE: [Painting] Krylon Mystique - APR - [Long] Next: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

Re: Soviet tanks and missiles

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 15:42:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles

>>Well, the US used to have one, the M60A2 ,which fired a Shillaleagh
missile,
>>same one used on the Sheridan, from a short tube launcher, along with
HE and
>>HEAT conventional rounds.
>>

>Important difference here: the Shillelagh-firing gun/missile launcher
used
>on the M60A2 and the M551 was a huge-caliber (152mm) low-velocity gun
>unable to fire effective KE projectiles, whereas the Eastern tanks fire

>ATGMs through more normal-sized guns (115mm and 125mm calibers) which
can
>also fire APFSDS. As for its impopularity, I bet the Shillelagh's low
hit
>probability at ranges less than 1 km had something to do with it too...
and
>so did the tendency of the 152mm rounds to break and spill propellant
all
>over the fighting compartment :-/

There was also a big problem with the Shillelagh system. The gun could
fire acurately out to
about 600 meters and the missle was inacurate out till about 1000
meters. This left a dead zone
of about 400 meters.

I also was talking to a tanker who had been a crewman on the Sheriden
tank who said that if they
fired the gun the recoil messed up the optics and caused problems if
they switched back to missles.
I assume that this was not a problem on the Shillelagh system mounted on

the M60 tank (a heavier
tank and why add it to the M60 if the problem was found in Sheriden).

Scott Siebold