Prev: Re: Berms Next: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles....

Re: Soviet tanks and missiles....

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 20:15:06 +0200
Subject: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles....

Jason S. wrote:

>If I remember correctly, various models of soviet tanks were designed
>fire guided missiles from their main guns, like a standard round.

Correct. The Israelis do it too, BTW.

>What was the idea behind this and is the idea still in use or has it
been
>more or less phased out?

The idea is to be able to hit accurately with a decent punch out to a
range
of 5 km, rather than be unable to hit anything much beyond 2.5 km.

The main reason why Western tanks don't have them is that Western tanks
were originally designed to fight in western and central Europe, where
lines-of-sight of 5 km are almost unheard of and even 2-3 km are rather
uncommon <g>

>I mean, with the range and power of more modern APDS and HEAT rounds,
why
>would you need a slower projectile, even if its guided?

Modern APFSDS (APDS are no longer modern!) don't hit very well beyond
3-3.5
km - and that's with *western* equipment. HEAT are even less accurate
thanks to their lower velocity. If you want to hit moving targets at
extreme ranges, ATGMs are pretty much your only hope.

Besides, if modern HEAT rounds have their power increased you can use
exactly the same technology to boost the punch of your ATGMs - they use
HEAT warheads too, after all.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Berms Next: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles....