Prev: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts Next: Card Initiative and vehicle MGs

Berms

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:43:30 -0400
Subject: Berms

John the Gingerbeer espoused:

It was pretty conclusively demonstrated in Desert
Storm that bulldozed berms of sand are pretty useless.
 But a proper tank fighting position is something else
entirely.

[Tomb] Given. But here's another point: Normal armour for tanks is in
the area of armour 3-5 (3d12-5d12). Adding a D6 ain't much. Perhaps
the discussion should be: How big of a round will be stopped by a
prepared tank fighting position (possibly concrete included)? By a
quickly bulldozed sand or dirt berm? By a rocky outcrop or ridgeline?
I'm guessing the sand berms might not stop 120mm rounds, but might
stop (just throwing some out) low-velocity 73mm guns, ATGMs, and 20mm
cannon. Thoughts?

Additionally, the ground type may play into it - I'm thinking being
behind a good ridgeline in Ontario on the Canadian Shield is like
being behind a couple of inches of dirt then solid granite! That'll
stop or deflect a pretty big round. And out West, if you get Prairie
hardpan, it'll be almost impossible to entrench without vehicles or
explosives, but it would deflect (once you had entrenched) far better
than typical temperate climate earth.

Prev: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts Next: Card Initiative and vehicle MGs