Prev: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts Next: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

Re: Card initiative

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:28:24 -0500
Subject: Re: Card initiative

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:30:52 -0500, Scott Siebold <gamers@ameritech.net>
wrote:

>The problem is that for 90% of that time
>most of the people
>are sitting around doing nothing. Nothing makes a game die faster then
>doing nothing.

I'm not sure I'd do it at a convention. First, I like to show people how
the
game really works, without house rules (or a minimum of house rules, or
house
rules that fix holes in a game). Second, players like to be involved in
the
process of deciding who gets to activate. This gets players on both
sides
involved.

Usually I give the player with the command unit the fewest units, but
give him
the responsibility of choosing the unit that activates. Players don't
usually
get bored, as any time a unit is fired upon that player has to roll the
range
die, and dice for Confidence Tests.

>The record waste of time game I've been to was after waiting 30 minutes

>I went out and
>ate lunch came back after 45 minutes and still had to wait to move.

The last WH40K game I played was at a convention. It was a huge game
that was
taking 30 minutes before it was my turn, and I was co-running a unit. I
ended
up losing interest, wandered the dealer's room and showing up once every
half
hour just to see what was happening. It essentially killed the last
interest I
had in WH40K. This was about 10 years ago, with the game using the old
Rogue
Trader rules.

http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances