Prev: Re: [SG] Luring players Next: Gauss Rifles

Card Initiative

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:09:46 -0400
Subject: Card Initiative

Here's what I do in my own little games where I use cards:

1 card per unit

No cards for command units (act on their discretion) (or sometimes we
insert 3 commander's option cards and the commander can collect them
and then play them at any time to take his turn - but he only gets
one activation). When we allowed this kind of pre-emption, it wasn't
mid-activation. It had to be before or after.

Overwatch/Reaction figure is a pre-emption. Since it is really "last
turns fire" (for Overwatch), the unit's card is still valid when it
comes up. For Reaction Fire, the units activation is consumed, so the
card is ignored when it turns up.

If two units should go at the same time (any situation where a card
has come up and an officer wants to activate someone or reaction fire
is desired), we roll QD vs. Ldr. Whoever beats their Ldr by more goes
first. (You could also do QD vs. QD opposed). This sometimes happens
in cascading interrupts.

Case:
Red activates (by card draw) unit X. Blue doesn't like that, so Blue
Leader wants to pre-empt. So he rolls off with Red X. If he preempts,
Red Leader may decide he wants to try to pre-empty Blue Leader. So
they roll off. Once a leader tries a preempt, he's activated (can't
take it back) but he can spend his actions however he likes (thus if
the order he was going to give is no longer viable, he can issue
another)

This works and is fun. Chaining of events doesn't happen that often.

Prev: Re: [SG] Luring players Next: Gauss Rifles