Prev: Re: [SG] Luring players Next: Re: [SG] Luring players

Equipment Deployments

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:11:53 -0400
Subject: Equipment Deployments

To comments by OO and HKR:

1) Yes, I'm assuming 75 implies 2175. It might be incorrect, but I
get the impression Gauss is more complicated than normal caseless
solid propellant or binary propellant systems and therefore is a more
recent development ergo a later deployment date (than 2158 if we look
at the SG-58) makes sense. Similarly, I look at the plasma weapons
used by the UN as progressive outgrowths of the early plasma guns (AT
weapons) and a recent item as well (even higher tech than the gauss
rifles). So 70's and 80's deployment dates seemed sensible. Yes, this
is connecting the dots in only one of many possible ways, but it
seemed to hang together.

2) OO said that the m/95 version of the Carl G is very similar to the
origianl m/48. But it is more advanced (lighter weight manufacture).
Not all advancements show up in terms of FP/IMP/range/etc. And hasn't
the ammo evolved significantly over that period? (Which might be more
to the point in a comparison involving RR/SMAWs?)

3) A twenty year or even twenty five year service life in the future
seems reasonable. Hence the SG-58 still going strong in 2183.
Although saying the M-16 was released in the 1960s and is still
around today, although true is slightly misleading: The C7 or M16A2
(or A3?) of today is a noticeably modified version of the original M-
16 that went to Vietnam. It is recongizable in many ways, but is
different in quite a few others.

4) None of these points really speak directly to my question - which
was how long it takes to deploy a weapons system in the GZGverse?
Does NACArmsInc just churn up the nanobots and ship out loads of
10,000 L7s at a time, able to re-equip the entire NAC military in a
matter of a month or two? Or does it take 5-10 years to deploy the
weapons to the entire force? Or longer? And what affects it? Does the
NAC suffer from being larger? Is the UN or OUDF (for example) faster
in deployment due to size?

5) Unrelated: Chris, nice work on your web page. Look forward to
sending you some more sov stuff in a bit. It's a nice clean look and
I was pretty happy the look. And any typos I'll take ownership of as

Prev: Re: [SG] Luring players Next: Re: [SG] Luring players