Prev: Deployment timings/lifespans Next: Re: [FT] SUS - Tractor Beams

Re: Nomenclature, part 37

From: David Brewer <davidbrewer@b...>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:03:29 +0100
Subject: Re: Nomenclature, part 37

kaladorn@magma.ca wrote:

> But that still doesn't tell me what the L in L7 is short for. In SLR,
> L was "loading" (self loading rifle I think). But I doubt that is
> what the L in L7 is for. And if they're using L to identify the
> Browning pistol (L9A1), then it has to be something not particular to
> rifles. Don't modern weapons go by IW (Infantry weapon) or LSW (light
> support weapon)

The IW is the L85 and the LSW is the L86. Bren guns were
rebarrelled in 7.62 as the L4 light machine gun, the Sterling
machine carbine was the L2, with a suppresser, L34. Also sundry
sniper rifles, cadet training rifles and so on as L-somethings. I
don't know where you'd find a list, or explanation.

> (don't know what the modern pistol is called....).

Modern pistol?

--
David Brewer

"The mentally disturbed do not employ the Theory of Scientific
Parsimony: the most simple theory to explain a given set of

Prev: Deployment timings/lifespans Next: Re: [FT] SUS - Tractor Beams