Prev: So shall it be Next: Deployment timings/lifespans

Nomenclature, part 37

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:10:52 -0400
Subject: Nomenclature, part 37

Thanks for all the info on 'Merican stuff. I figure Model is the most
likely. Experimental things were given designations like XM-number
and that meant experimental model IIRC. Matrix seems like an
interesting idea, but something just doesn't hang together there. And
Mark is just another way of saying Model.

But that still doesn't tell me what the L in L7 is short for. In SLR,
L was "loading" (self loading rifle I think). But I doubt that is
what the L in L7 is for. And if they're using L to identify the
Browning pistol (L9A1), then it has to be something not particular to
rifles. Don't modern weapons go by IW (Infantry weapon) or LSW (light
support weapon) (don't know what the modern pistol is called....).

And as for the plasma gun, I'd keep PSG (PlasmaSturmGewehr) for a
plasma rifle. The SK is already the big plasma gun, but the figure
SGN-18 is carrying is a SAW equivalent (or so it appears), not really
a gewehr. Seems like perhaps PlasmaMachineGewehr (PMG) might be more
appropriate, nicht wahr? That is plasma machine gun, but it is
probably close to rapid fire plasma canon. Sensible, no?

Prev: So shall it be Next: Deployment timings/lifespans