Prev: Re: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture Next: Re: Plasma guns (was: Re: Translation)

Re: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

From: David Brewer <davidbrewer@b...>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:07:52 +0100
Subject: Re: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

kaladorn@magma.ca wrote:

> Attention Eurolisterdudes!
>
> What's the L in L7? (the NAC AR)
>
> Americans use M- for rifles (Military?). The Canadians use C-
> (Canadian?). Germans use G (Gewehr?). Russians have a series of AKs
> (Avtomat Kalashnikova - or something like that).

The Russians seem to like to append the designer's initial: AK,
Kalashnikov; SVD, Druganov; AN, Nikonov.

> But what does the L
> in L7 stand for? Why do the Brits use L designations for rifles?

I assume (with no especial foundation) that this is a conscious
imitation of American practice.

> And what designation do Brits use for pistols? (Yanks use M-... which
> again I think is Military). I don't even recall what Canucks use (I
> only ever recall that we called the Browning Hi-Power a "Browning",
> don't ever recall but I'm sure it had a code). And I think the
> Germans use P- (Pistol?).

IIRC, the Browning GP35 is known as the L9A1.

--
David Brewer

"The mentally disturbed do not employ the Theory of Scientific
Parsimony: the most simple theory to explain a given set of

Prev: Re: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture Next: Re: Plasma guns (was: Re: Translation)