Prev: Re: [FT] SUS - Tractor Beams Next: Re: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

RE: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:17:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

--- B Lin <lin@rxkinetix.com> wrote:
> I think the M in American nomenclature is for "Mark"
> as in Mark 1 Type 1A Submachinegun also known as the
> M1A1 Thompson.  Therefore the M16A1 is the Mark 16
> Type 1A Infantry Rifle.  This applies to vehicles
> and weapons systems i.e. an M-60 Tank is a Mark 60.
> Sometime in the 70's and 80's they decided that the
> numbers were getting too high and reset them, thus
> the M1A1 Abrams, F-14 Tomcat, F-15 Eagle, M2A2
> Bradley and M4A1 Carbine.

Nice theory.

However we have the M-9 Pistol, the M-9 ACE, and the
M-9 Blasting Cap holder.

The M-60 Fuze igniter, M-60 Machine Gun, and M-60
Tank.

Etc.  There is a system, but it's more complicated
than that.

And it's not Mark.  It's Model.  Mark is USN.

John

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs

Prev: Re: [FT] SUS - Tractor Beams Next: Re: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture