Prev: RE: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture Next: Re: [FT] SUS - Tractor Beams

RE: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 22 Aug 2002 16:11:42 -0400
Subject: RE: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

I don't think so.  When I was in, the M-16 was called just "Em-16"  But
the Mk-19 was called the "Mark-19".

The "M" is just part of the nomenclature, and it stands for Matrix.
It's a hold-over from before they developed the National Stock Number
(NSN) system, where everything "standard issue" was regarded as being on
the "Matrix" or chart/catalog of things that could be ordered through
normal channels.

The "M" designations can and have been repeated for radically different
items (M-1 Garand rifle and the M-1 Abrams tank) but the NSN number will
always be different.

Of course, I might be wrong... that guy in armorer's school back in '96
was full of it.

--

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 15:12, B Lin wrote:
> I think the M in American nomenclature is for "Mark" as in Mark 1 Type
1A Submachinegun also known as the M1A1 Thompson.  Therefore the M16A1
is the Mark 16 Type 1A Infantry Rifle.	This applies to vehicles and
weapons systems i.e. an M-60 Tank is a Mark 60.  Sometime in the 70's
and 80's they decided that the numbers were getting too high and reset
them, thus the M1A1 Abrams, F-14 Tomcat, F-15 Eagle, M2A2 Bradley and
M4A1 Carbine.

> --Binhan

which
> > >again I think is Military). I don't even recall what Canucks use (I
> > >only ever recall that we called the Browning Hi-Power a "Browning",
> > >don't ever recall but I'm sure it had a code). And I think the
> > >Germans use P- (Pistol?).
> >
> > A lot of things just get a name if they are a regularly
> > adopted pistol.
> > --
> > --
> > - Ryan Montieth Gill			 '01 Honda Insight -
> > - rmgill@SPAmindspring.com				'85 CB700S -
> > - ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		     '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
> > - www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		   '72 Honda CB750 -
> > -					  '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
> > -				       '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
> > -		  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me		   -
> > -	     The director of Home Security encourages you to	   -
> > -	       turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.	   -
> > -  C&R-FFL	/  Protect your electronic rights!    \ EFF-ACLU   -
> > - SAF & NRA/  Join the EFF!  http://www.eff.org/   \ DoD
> > #0780 -

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught
"I hate quotations."
		-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Check out this Online gamer community:
      www.tabletop-battlezone.com

Prev: RE: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture Next: Re: [FT] SUS - Tractor Beams