Prev: Re: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture Next: RE: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

RE: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:12:27 -0600
Subject: RE: British (and other) Weapon Nomencalture

I think the M in American nomenclature is for "Mark" as in Mark 1 Type
1A Submachinegun also known as the M1A1 Thompson.  Therefore the M16A1
is the Mark 16 Type 1A Infantry Rifle.	This applies to vehicles and
weapons systems i.e. an M-60 Tank is a Mark 60.  Sometime in the 70's
and 80's they decided that the numbers were getting too high and reset
them, thus the M1A1 Abrams, F-14 Tomcat, F-15 Eagle, M2A2 Bradley and
M4A1 Carbine.

--Binhan