Prev: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tankrounds Next: Re: Translation

Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds

From: Andrae Muys <amuys@c...>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:08:21 +1000
Subject: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds

Scott Siebold wrote:
>> Err... not quite. A superconductor is not a 'state of matter' in the
>> same sense as the others. A superconductor is a solid that happens to
>> have no resistance to electricity. Just as solids can vary in colour,
>> density, heat conductivity etc. Materials of different color are not
>> defined as different 'states of matter' in the strict definition of
>> that term.
>
> Ah yes quite. Ther are 5 "states" of matter and one of those states is

> "superconductor". I
> didn't make this up but it was in one of those 200 level  physics
> classes I had to take in
> collage. A material that is in the superconductive state "ACTS"
> differently then matter in
> the other states.
>
> An intersting side issue is glass is a high desity liquid which is
> slowly moving (glass
> that is 100+ years old is actually denser at the base then at the
top).

Ok, lets just kill this thread outright.  Before anyone starts arguing
over
how many states of matter there are, or if glass is a liquid, I suggest
you
read the information at:

http://www.urbanlegends.com/science/glass.flow/index.html

http://www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html

http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/sethna/OrderParameters/BrokenSymmetry.html

Andrae Muys

Prev: Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tankrounds Next: Re: Translation