Prev: Fulton Army List Next: (Fwd) Re: PAU fleet

Re: PAU fleet

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:32:29 -0400
Subject: Re: PAU fleet

At 1:22 PM -0400 8/20/02, kaladorn@magma.ca wrote:
>OO makes an interesting point about the PAU fleet. Also, there may be
>a difference between not being able to produce capital ships and not
>being able to produce many of them or not being able to produce them
>cost effectively.

Being able to produce them correctly is probably the major issue.
Russia, could build an aircraft carrier, they just lacked the
knowledge base on how to put it together in a reliable form and
operate it. A ship is a complex machine. Its not like a car. Its
really lots and lots of independent systems operating together.
Getting them all to work correctly is hard.

>For that matter, you'd think that capship slips would be a fair size
>(even orbital) and if you didn't need to use them regularly (let's
>imagine that ESU and NAC and maybe FSE and NSL would), they'd be an
>expense to maintain. OTOH, some private firms could probably handle
>fleet maintenance contracts from several nations (or even
>construction contracts).

Typically, such assets are considered strategic and there are
typically strong controls on who can sell what to whom.

>I suspect the PAU fleet has some hand-me downs, some bought-news,
>some bought-and-modifieds, and maybe even some smaller home-brew
>designs (DDs, FFs, etc). I would guess NAC, ESU, FSE. NAC, because of
>what OO mentioned, ESU because we know they have some, and FSE
>because they were nominal allies at one point and the French have
>always tended to encourage arms sales to a variety of sides (even
>those fighting the French national forces....).

One thing to look at as an example is the number of EX US and USN
ships that were handed over following WWII. More than a few nations
were given or sold Ships of up to BB and CA size. Most didn't operate
terribly long or for significant amounts. Having BBs doesn't mean you
can attack another nation across the ocean.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Fulton Army List Next: (Fwd) Re: PAU fleet