Prev: Re: Tomb's Rating System Next: Re: nth Rate Powers, Ratings, and John's Weapons

nth Rate Powers, Ratings, and John's Weapons

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 02:31:46 -0400
Subject: nth Rate Powers, Ratings, and John's Weapons

1) John's Weapons (my suggested adds)
I'd say the weapon carried by the NSL figure as
a rapid fire plasma cannon is more like a small
plasma saw than a rapid fire version of the
larger bore storm canon. It looks like a gauss
saw would perhaps appear (which is what I
thought it was before reading the catalog
page). I'd say automatic plasma canon would
be a good a good name - anyone help with the
German?

2) KHR comments:

a) KH, I didn't take offense. You didn't mean
any (your one dimensional comment was strictly
accurate, not prejorative) and I didn't take any.
Any appearance to that direction is just my
poor communications - sorry.

b) I believe logistics and other aspects like
budget and technology rate into personal
soldier quality because having the logistics to
afford to shoot on the range regularly, to have
every trooper fire live AT weapons, etc. really
does make a difference to individual soldierly
skills. This is a direct function of logistics, though
not obvious unless you think about it or have
experienced what a lack of such support can do
to formation (having met people who
supposedly know anti-armour weapons but
have never fired a real one or even worked with
an expensive simulator).

c) Yes, my list of possible factors was long. You
complain about it being one dimensional, then
you're suprised when I hit the other extreme? :)
I guess we differ in one respect: I'm interested
in this as a "background piece" rather than
anything practical. When I write scenarios, I
select the units involved. So I don't usually need
any kind of "random chart". Given that any
nation can have good or bad units, and that is
what SG and DS manifest, all you might
reasonably do is affect the distributions a little
bit. The truth is, you can argue for all veteran
PAU units, or all green NAC units at that scale.
So I see this mostly as a FH excercise, rather
than any sort of game-interfacing activity.

d) 80 years is a long time to get over a defeat
(re LLAR). OTOH, none of the examples you've
cited were booted out of their home territory,
moved somewhere else, setup shop there,
rebuilt their whole national structure, and then
reached a level where they could challenge the
big guy on the block. The fact the PAU have
NOT been kicked off earth, and the fact that the
PAU have maintained some semblance of a
power block as a star spanning earth based
nation suggests they might be a bit more
together than the once-great LLAR.

3) More generally

An averaged rating from a poll would give us
an impression (especially from an anonymous
poll) of what the average GZG listers opinion is.
If we tracked modality, we'd also get some idea
of whether the opinions are very similar or very
diverse - the average representing two
extremes of thought.

Myself, I'm interested in such a project, but
busy enough to eschew management of it. And
I'm (very much like John) going to do "my own
thing" in defining my version of the GZGverse.
It's based on how I interpret GZG canon. I'm
not trying to sell it to anyone, other than those
I game with, and even then only as one possible
interpretation used to develop scenarios.
Someone has to suck. I could have picked the
NAC, but I just don't get that impression from
reading the timelines. I rank the PAU in the
lower half of the "power blocks" because I see
their fleet as mostly hand me downs, their
supranation as having many internal division
factors relating to languages, history, etc, and I
figure their "fleet" is mostly in less than great
repair and that their army tends towards less
than effective operations. Can they maintain a
space empire? If none of the big 4 decide to
take them on directly when they have no other
allies, then yes. Is it the same kind of the space
empire as the NAC runs? Nosiree Karl-Heinz.
But that's just my take on things. And because I
base it on trends I see (rather than ones I
make up under the "200 years is a long time"
mantra), people can say I'm in error or even (if
they're ignorant) bigoted. The truth is I could
make the PAU a 1st rate power, but the
amount I'd have to alter their current path is
larger than making them lower ranked. And I
prefer that things distort how I actually see the
world going today less. That doesn't make it a
correct view, but then so what? If it suits me,
amuses me, and I develop my version of the
GZGverse around it, people can disagree freely
and do their own thing. Or not play in it. That's
the great thing about GZG games and probably
why Jon issues few clarifications - he lets people
do their own thing.

So, I could go around rating everyone about
the same. But I choose not to. My world won't
look like Beth's, nor Chris' world, nor John's.
But if it did, it would (by virtue of similarity) be
less interesting as an offering because it would
offer much the same as Beth, Chris or John
would. So I think this difference of outlook on
the common Future History is actually an asset
rather than a liability.

4) Laserlight, that comment about a plague of
Celts in Space has you on another list..... !

<There is only a plague because the Celts are
interesting enough to generate many
interpretations!>

So, in my best Auld Scots "Hud Yer Weesht."

:) Tomb Raider
Not short of thoughts, nor wind ;)
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: Tomb's Rating System Next: Re: nth Rate Powers, Ratings, and John's Weapons