Prev: Re: Scouts and dinky armoured cars Next: Re: Speaking of. . .

Re: Scouts and dinky armoured cars

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:50:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Scouts and dinky armoured cars

> I'm not arguing against having armour 1. I recommend that for scouts.
> Their protection should stop rifles and LMGs. HMGs if it is feasible.

You forgot shell fragments.  You really want to stop shell fragements.
Proximity burst are very lethal to un-armored targets...

> Drones fill this role nicely.

Drones are the best way to do recon on a future battlefield.

> Airborne and satellite recce is still a significant factor.

Depends on who has ships in orbit or if the defending force has
significant
ASAT capabilty...

>  However, you're going to hear GEV coming from a bloody
> > long way off. They aren't going to surprise anyone as scouts.
Wheeled
> > are as quiet as they come. Noone really knows what grav sounds like.
> > I figure youve got some kind of rotational field generating coil
that
> > makes a subsonc humm that'll have ever farm dog for miles howling.
>
> Whereas I think wheeled vehicle weighing multiple tons crinkling
> along gravel and dirt are far louder than the utterly silent solid-
> state grav technology IMU. :)

The way GEV's are detected is by thier audible signiture.  Grav vehicles
will have a tremendous of gravity waves at least as bad as the GEV's
audible
signiture.  Sure you can't hear it, but a cheap sensor could...  Now
let's
put that sensor into the guidence system of a missile...

Prev: Re: Scouts and dinky armoured cars Next: Re: Speaking of. . .