Prev: RE: 2nd/3rd rate powers Next: Re: The GZGverse UN

2nd and 3rd rate powers

From: kaladorn@m...
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:50:18 -0400
Subject: 2nd and 3rd rate powers

On ratings:

1: IC - I'd call them 3rd rate or maybe even 4th. I don't picture
them as an armed force to write home and brag about.

2: IF rated as 3rd rate: I didn't say they weren't a force to be
feared, but I suspect they still lack flexibility in responses,
deeper doctrinal capability that only comes with being a superpower
with a long institutional military history and a large budget, and I
suspect they also have problems with tribal/regional prejudices and
class prejudices. That's IMU.

3: AE Imperial Forces as 2nd rate - they rate first rate in the
subset of things they are good for, but the fact they are such a
subset means that they score lower overall. They don't have the huge
military infrastructure that the NAC has nor the institutional
history nor do they regularly engage in large clashes. They're good
(perhaps even great) in airless-body and shipboard combat. But on-
world (where required) or in larger scale conflicts, they drop out of
their depth.

4: NAC as 1st rate: I cite long military tradition of successful
campaigns, strong culture of fixing mistakes, emphasis on flexibility
at lower and intermediate levels, highest tech training aides,
largest military budget, etc. All in all, this contributes to the
highest overall rating. There are also hidden advantages that add up
to being the military arm of a free and educated society.

5: Swedes as second rate: Same reason as downgrading the AE Imperial
Forces. Swedes are good in their environment. But they don't do large
scale ops often, nor do they have quite the training budgets or toys
of the NAC. Nor quite the same institutional memory. 2nd rate is not
shabby! It's a rating as "skilled and competent". It just isn't quite
the highest possible rating.

6: OUDF as second rate: Same problem as some of the other powers -
well trained indivdually, but limited larger-unit training for troops
and commanders. Limited training budgets. Good use of $$$, but not
enough $$$. Again, second rate is not lousy by any stretch.

7: Some PAU and some IF might well be 4th rate.

8: IAS 4th rate: I waffled about making them 3rd rate. I think
they're 4th rate but mostly due to limited operational experience (in
that they mostly don't have to fight), limited budget, limited force
sizes (as this impacts training of command staff and leaders), and
limited military tradition and culture and institutional memory. They
do, I agree, stand a likelihood of fielding some state of the art kit
(or perhaps bleeding edge tech). But they're a culture of scientists
and researchers.... not warfighters. (IMU). They're a 4th rate power
with some plusses.

9: Rating Aliens. I rate SV as 3rd rate in terms of quality as I
don't think engineered bioconstructs have the same man-for-man
capabilities as most humans. OTOH, they make up for this lack of
individual quality by having certain physical capabilities that
geneering gives them, technology that is odd and terrifying, and a
hard to predict psychology. However, I didn't factor these into this
rating. I think they rank high in the "how powerful are they" rating,
but lower in the "how good are they, individually".

Prev: RE: 2nd/3rd rate powers Next: Re: The GZGverse UN