Prev: Re: TO&E question Next: Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter

Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:38:02 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter

I guess I will play spoiler and go back to when Startrek was somewhat
new and I was a physics major at collage.

First the "transporter" converted matter to energy and then transported
it a given distance and then reassembled it. Another name for this
conversion
of matter to energy is TC (Total Conversion) which will give energy
yields
in the order of antimatter (matter + antimatter = TC).

The average H-bomb converts about 1/1000 of the matter to energy
(deutronium -> helium + energy). I suppose I could figure out how much
deutronium is present to start with but let's face it I'm older and it
is
not  really important. So your average crewman who is transported
will have a potential bang equal to 1000 to 10,000+  times
greater then your average H-bomb of today ( lets say stratigic weapons
of around 5 megaton). In other words if you goof with a transporter
you have just created a continent / world destroying bang.

On the other hand a transporter that links two points in space is
OK by me. I would suggest that unless there is a transmitter and
receiver  that the transport point wanders  so that your landing force
is scattered. The scatter is dependent on how far the transmitter
is from the point to transport to with someone able to fly the point
(sort of) so you don't step out 1,000 feet up or under.

Scott Siebold

.

Prev: Re: TO&E question Next: Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter