Prev: Re: Speaking of. . . Next: Re: Speaking of. . .

Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players

--- Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@abacom.com> wrote:

> The list should not be a replacement for the
> construction system if people
> want to spend the time needed to go the DIY way.

A couple problems present themselves.  The most
obvious is gamers using 'non-standard' minis.  For
instance, Scotia, OGRE, Fortress Figures, Renegade
Legion, Epic, modern, Battletech, WWII, &ct.  have all
made themselves seen on my DSII table.	Plus screwy
homebuilds and conversions.

If you want to throw together army lists for generic
unnamed powers, feel free to.  However, I've done so
damn many DSII army lists it's ridiculous (NRE, Free
Ukrainians, New Tblisi, Greater Serbians, New Jordan,
New Israel, Alarishi Empire, one of the options out
there for the Islamic Federation) and am working on
the most ambitious of them all, the ESU.  I'm not
doing generic ones also.

> If the doctrine are very different, you can create a
> new list. Anyway, I
> see this more as a way to give new player some
> material to start gaming
> right out of the box and for pick-up game. That and
> lots of scenario will
> help (If there is a scenario supplement one day for
> SG2 or DS2, I'll get
> one as soon as I can!)

YMMV, but I find that the mass of historical gaming
scenarios I have serves quite adequately.  Just
replace IJN Marines with, say, IC Raiders and convert
the Aussies to GEV-mounted troops. To pick an example
at random.

> Once you're at the stage of handling different
> doctrine and structure, you
> can do it on your own and of course, be accused of
> obsessive-compulsive
> behavior :)

Doctrine drives both organizational structure and
equipment procurement choices.	Or you end up with
some crazy-quilt mess that falls apart in combat.

> I guess they need to have some other vehicule to do
> something (I was not
> seeing them with just infantry transport) . Might
> also give GMS to PA squads.

GMS is defensive weapon.

> If using an urban setting, how much it can improve
> infantry heavy troops as
> opposed to be in non-urban zone?

Depends on what your opponent has for an ROE.  If
you're willing to level the city you can take it away
from defenders with acceptable casualties.  But in
general, it can multiply the effectiveness of
defending infantry by as much as an order of
magnitude.  I once played a scenario with a Roman
light infantry company defending against an ad hoc
armored batallion.  Lost a platoon, inflicted about
40% casualties on the attackers, and delayed them for
almost 3 hours before withdrawing across the only
remaining bridge and blowing it skyhigh.  But my
opponent made some mistakes (too cautious) and I got
lucky as well.

John

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs

Prev: Re: Speaking of. . . Next: Re: Speaking of. . .