Prev: Re: [FT] SMITE Next: Re: desktop magnifying glass

Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:23:38 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter

In message <B1B6DED6-AEB4-11D6-A3AA-000393071770@jhuapl.edu>
	  Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> Nifty idea, Charles.
>
> > 1) Support Ground operations by rapidly transporting personnel and
> > equipment to or from the surface
>
> > 2) Perform boarding actions against enemy spacecraft or
installations...

> This could simply be used as the PSB venue for "standard" bording
> operations.
>
> > 3) Act as a form of salvo missile launcher
>
> Similarly, this could be an alternate PSB for an SM system (w/o
special
> transmitter rules). Exactly the same mechanics, but a different
> description - witth the potential added bonus that "magazine ships"
> could hang 36" back from the action and refill the frontline magazines

> by transmission.
>
> > 4) Act as a form of Plasma Bolt Launcher
> > 5) Transmit/Receive fighters and other small craft
> > 6) Mine-laying.
>
> The system you detail adds some interesting new mechanics, but as
> written, would you ever buy Matter Transmitter missiles over Salvo
> missiles? Or a Plasma Generator over a PBL? The mystery of the target
is
> not, I think (without the benefit of seeing it in action), sufficient
> merit the extra cost of the system.
>
> Again, pretty much every mode described _could_ simply be seen as
> alternate PSB's for standard functions requiring no real rule mods -
> only flavor text changes. Pulse Torps could be redescribed as Matter
> Transmitter Bombs. Even Beams could be redefined as Matter Chippers -
> Matter Transmitter attempting to "beam away" pieces of an opposing
ship.

> I like to see a function for a system like this that would not be a
> repackaging of an existing effect. Boarding/Ground support operations
> (and/or crew unit abduction), which are still fairly open to
definition,
> seems the best areas so far.
>
> Bizarre Hempen Analog    (Noam Raphael Izenberg - pass that clip
along,
> please)

Hmm... re. your comment about the cost - IIRC (I did the calculations a
while ago) I based the costs on those of the SML system.

The basic intent was a weapon system based on the Displacement Pods from
Ian M. Banks 'Culture' novels - hence the plasma generators and short
range missile (warheads).

One thing you should note, the higher grade Matter Transmitters allow
for boarding actions ate a much greater range than normal.

I'm tempted to remove some of the restrictions on Matter-Transmitter
assisted fighter launches (i.e. the 'cant attack on the turn they are
transmitted one).

But yes, the Launch Short-Range Missiles & Plasma options _could_ be
replaced by an SML + PBL combo.

Charles

Prev: Re: [FT] SMITE Next: Re: desktop magnifying glass