Prev: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players Next: Another 100 club

Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players

From: Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@a...>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:10:52 -0700
Subject: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players

>> It will allow to have different "Feel" for a
>> specific game : instead of all
>> player creating the best vehicule possible, they
>> will instead have to buy
>> some from a list, each list having some advantage
>> and disadvantage.
>
>Ummmm. . . the permutations of the vehicles possible
>are functionally endless (I'm sure OO could calculate
>the number of all possible variations, but I'm frankly
>not inerested).  Limiting them is BAD.

The list should not be a replacement for the construction system if
people
want to spend the time needed to go the DIY way.

>Besides, good tactics can overcome mediocre vehicle
>designs.  It can't override outright BAD decisions
>(like multiple HEL/1s on a main battle tank).	Fer
>instance, OO has conclusively "proven" that stealth is
>a bad idea.  However, it fits in with the higher-tech
>outlook of my Romans (as well as a sensitivity to
>casualties--limited number of good Greeks and
>Armenians to go around) so I keep using it.  I win
>anyway.
>
>Of course, IIRC he also claims I use an underpriced
>fire control system.  :)
>
>> Also, when trying to convert player from other
>> gameset, you could just use
>> a list that fit best the race they like to play in
>> their other game. Ex: If
>> we had a "Stealthy and Fast guys" list, you could
>> just convert any Evil
>> empire eldar player more easily.
>
>So how do you handle different doctrines and
>organizational structures?  Stealthy and Fast guys
>that use Sov-style organizational structures are going
>to be vastly different from Stealthy and Fast guys
>using UK-style organization.

If the doctrine are very different, you can create a new list. Anyway, I
see this more as a way to give new player some material to start gaming
right out of the box and for pick-up game. That and lots of scenario
will
help (If there is a scenario supplement one day for SG2 or DS2, I'll get
one as soon as I can!)

Once you're at the stage of handling different doctrine and structure,
you
can do it on your own and of course, be accused of obsessive-compulsive
behavior :)

>> Each list could have some restriction on the number
>> of vehicule type
>> allowed (ex: you need to have X vehicule of a given
>> type to have Y vehicule
>> of another). There could even be some discount for
>
>Why?  That's straight up silly.
>
>Suppose the force you're playing is an adhoc
>kampfgruppe built around an AA battery with odds and
>sods from everything from militia horse-mounted scouts
>to a trio of heavy tanks scrounged from a vehicle
>repair depot and crewed by maintinence personnel?
>
>> "Big infantry transport guys" : Those have big
>> infantry transport with lots
>> of armour (like the droid carrier tank in StarWars
>> EP1) and of course, lots
>> of infantry. Drop the grunt and let them do the
>> dirty work.
>
>Eaten for Lunch.  Big infantry transports = lots and
>lots of very dead infantrymen. Plus they have little
>to no antiarmor capability or ability to attack
>anything.  Purely defensive.

I guess they need to have some other vehicule to do something (I was not
seeing them with just infantry transport) . Might also give GMS to PA
squads.

If using an urban setting, how much it can improve infantry heavy troops
as
opposed to be in non-urban zone?

Prev: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players Next: Another 100 club