Prev: Re: Fw: VMMV Next: [FT] Matter Transmitter (long)

Re: Scouts out. . . NAC style

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:22:42 -0400
Subject: Re: Scouts out. . . NAC style

At 6:55 PM -0400 8/11/02, Laserlight wrote:

>One thing scouts always do is look around and find the enemy.	Once
>they find them, what do you want them to do about it?	If your answer
>is "shoot", then you need to give them something to shoot with.  If
>your answer is "report and let someone else deal with it" then Hummers
>(with just enough firepower for self defense) should suffice.

The problem is its really hard to see an infantry force that is
hiding and blocking. You're better off with some armor in the form of
a light and fast armored car for your scouting. They are more
surviable than a hummer. It is possible to make a small fast vehicle.
My Dingo is a perfect example. Its tiny but far more able to take
fire than a HMMWV with it's inch of armor to the front.

I personally think a light/heavy combination works well. Either as
two teams that work together as scout and support, or as route recce
and pursuit forces.

Given the advent of ATGMs, a hypervelocity ATGM launched by the
lights would really help their punch when they needed it. The big
issue is not weighing them down too much. One or two shots is their
limit really.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: Fw: VMMV Next: [FT] Matter Transmitter (long)