Prev: Re: Scouts out. . . NAC style Next: Scratchbuilt Hovertank

Fw: VMMV

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:12:55 -0400
Subject: Fw: VMMV

Forwarded from another list of mine:

<snip> offered to host our October meeting.  Why?  He lives near a
millionaire who runs The VA Museum of Military Vehicles that buys and
reconditions WW2 tanks!  He even bought and reconditioned a Stug IIIG
that was buried and preserved (even the paint) in a Russian River.
Their website is http://vmmv.org/
<snip>
I can tell you a little bit about the VMMV collection. I would guess
they have maybe 40 vintage military vehicles.  Most are U.S., but
there's also a pretty large collection of Russian tanks as well as
quite a few British, a few German, and some other oddballs.  Possibly
the weirdest of the lot is a Swedish "S" tank (or, more correctly, 3
of them).  From previous trips, I recall a beautifully restored
cast-hull Sherman, a couple AmphTracs, a Hetzer, an M5 Stuart that
runs like a top, several versions of U.S. half-tracks, couple Bren
carriers, etc.	As far as I know, there is only one tank in the
collection that doesn't run.  It's a French FT-17 (well, not quite --
it's a FT-17 version build under license in the US).  Anyway, you get
the idea.

Oh, the location.  VMMV is sort of south of Manassas.  Roughly halfway
between Manassas and Dumfries, off state route 234.

Prev: Re: Scouts out. . . NAC style Next: Scratchbuilt Hovertank