Prev: Re: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers? Next: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players

RE: Scouts out. . . NAC style

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 17:07:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Scouts out. . . NAC style

--- Michael Brown <mwbrown@sonic.net> wrote:
> Possible Scout Missions:
>
> 1. Find'em (Basic "Where are they now?")
> 2. Flank guard (Enough fire power to by time)
> 3. Guide ("Just follow me to your Battle position")
> 4. Diversionary force (Make enough noise/Fire/etc to
> be mistaken for a larger
> force)
> 5. Rapid reaction force ("Plug the Line!!", needs
> enough firepower to make a
> difference)
> 6. Commander's guard (Yes, this has been a use for
> scouts)
> 7. Route Recon (including all that Engineer stuff)
> 8. Rear Guard (see flank guard)
>
> 1,3,7 needs lots of eyes/mobility (hence 10 Hummers)
> 2,4,5,8 needs the ability
> to FIGHT (hence Bradleys/AC).  FM 17-95 (Cavalry)
> has more detail.

I know that.  I was trying to NOT use technical terms.
. .

OK, we can pretty much say that #6 is a gross misuse
of recon assets which should be grounds for immediate
relief.

However, the question remains:	What would be the most
important of those tasks?  Which would be called upon
most often?  Which represents a case in which the
inability to perform the task could result in defeat?

I'm kind of leaning towards Adrian's suggestion (7
armored cars and 6 dune bugges) right now.  Any better
ideas out there?

John

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

Prev: Re: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers? Next: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players