Prev: RE: Mailing List [corp-rat subscribers] Next: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players

RE: Mailing List [corp-rat subscribers] going OT ?

From: "Alfie Finch" <alfie.finch@b...>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 23:30:18 +0100

Accepted, in our company, e-mail footers are added by the client
mail program and can be turned off for personal mail, but I know
others may not be in the same situation. I should have made it
clearer that that was a suggestion, if able, not a demand.

> > Some users pay for their dial-up access and may take
> > offence at having to download a 2 line posting and an
> > 18 line mail footer.
>
> Also very true, but before joining that crusade I'd like to
> see an improvement in the standard of quoting. How many items
> do we see with umpteen quoted lines, badly wrapped, and a
> two-line response that's only pertinent to one paragraph in
> the quote?

Considering the SNR in here that was a bit facetious but was
meant as a 'this is a possible reason not to do it' as I for one
filter on new content to original post scores, i.e. if you post
a one liner in response to a 20 line post it is highly likely my
filter will delete the post.

I definately was not trying to apply rules to a service which I
don't own. I intended to offer some possible guidance as I
stated I am doing within my corporate network and my peer group.
I don't expect anyone to adopt my principles, they are purely my
own advice as I am aware that some, like myself, score and
filter based upon quoted responses.

What I should have said is that if you post with an automated
footer it is highly likely that my score/filter system will not
see responses with significantly lower numbers of lines in
response without snipping due to the level of quoted text, and I
would imagine that other users may use similar tools. So the
upshot is I made a comment based upon how my system works and
possibly others but had no basis to make that comment. I
apologise.

Again, considering the SNR in here I should not have bothered
making a comment as it is highly likely that I am missing posts
from others that may be relevant to my gaming but because they
don't snip I miss their comments because of a system that I
operate.

I did not intend to infringe anyone's personal rights to post
what they like as it is essentially an unmoderated forum, I was
merely offering comment, but should have quantified my reasons.

Can you tell I've been spending a lot of time with the corporate
lawyers this week for an unrelated issue :)

Prev: RE: Mailing List [corp-rat subscribers] Next: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players