Prev: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon Next: Re: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?)

Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 08 Aug 2002 11:36:59 -0400
Subject: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 11:08, Mike Elliott wrote:
> So given the fact that all wargamers are lazy, and that DS2 doesn't
say it
> can be used for historical games on the cover, who IS going to
convince
> them that it can be used for WW2/Modern games? (Incidentally, I am
planning
> to play some Vietnam games using DS2. Its all helicopters and infantry
so
> DS2 should work like a dream with virtually no modifications.)

Yes, the closer you get to modern the more readily adaptable DSII is...
I think the main aspects that DSII has that doesn't fit smoothly into
WWII is the ease with which different echelons communicate over
distances and how fast arty arrives.

> Seems to me the best way of doing this is to run some demo/party games
at
> shows. Whet their appetite with a game actually being played. Enthuse
about
> the game to all the punters. When they say "Where can I buy the
rules?"
> Tada! Produce a copy of DS2 and point them at the nearest GZG
stockist.
> When they say "But its a sci-fi game!" you reply "But you didn't know
that
> until I showed you the rulebook!" QED.
>
> You won't need the encyclopedic stats database that Flak Magnet was
talking
> about creating first, just enough stats so you can play the game at
the
> shows.

That's great for running a game at a show for an introduction and a
starting point, but what about later?  The "punters" grab a set of
rules, go home and realize... "Dang... I have to design all the forces
from scratch?"	Lacking that encyclopedia I want to create, I think
you'll find DSII getting set aside for more "out of the box" Micro-Armor
games as far as WWII goes.

My undertaking this project doesn't mean that I'll be holding off on
running/playing any games until I'm finished.  On the contrary, I'll
start off with the models I have, flesh out those Nations, then move on
from there as my collection directs and time permits.  First thing is to
get my own models on the table using DSII, then I'll worry about the
models my buddies want to bring... then I'll worry about whatever else I
missed.

> Food for thought?

<I'd answer directly, but I don't think with my mind full, it's rude...>

--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

"You don't install Linux on the desktop for the same reason
you don't stick table saws in your kids' bedrooms, or give
a contractor a squeeky hammer to build your house. Real men
use the table saws, and let the kids use the squeeky hammer
to bonk each other on the head."  --  Seen on Freshmeat

Prev: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon Next: Re: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?)