Prev: Re: [SG] meets [RL] Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1287

Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 07 Aug 2002 10:36:59 -0400
Subject: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 09:21, Allan Goodall wrote:
> >So Jon could take SG, delete the references to fusion power, GEVs,
> >missiles, etc, put a new cover on it...
>
> It would take more than that, as historical gamers would want to see
stats for
> historical vehicles, instead of a "design your own" system. Plus
there's a lot
> of stuff that would have to be modelled for a historical game to have
the
> right flavour. For instance, command transfers should be harder in an
> environment where not everyone has a battlefield network and instant
> person-to-person communications. I added rules for runners in
_Hardtack_. That
> would have to be used for WW2 and earlier.

Yes, very much so.  And that's something that really has struck me in my
project of wanting to run a WWII game in DSII... the work isn't already
done for me.  Sure, there are plenty of people who have made a start of
it, but no-one has really gone all out and done it all.

That something that I want to do, time permitting (which it won't for
quite some time, unfortunately.  I mean, IMO, DSII and SGII are superior
games to WH40K, but check out this site:

http://members.telocity.com/kpavlick/ww2/ww2intro.htm

in specific:

http://members.telocity.com/kpavlick/ww2/ww2lists.htm

Note how the "work" has been done in converting the forces over into
WH40K.	If a substandard <CENSORED> piece of <CENSORED> game like
WarHammer 40<CENSORED>K can get that much work put into making it
approachable to historical players, why can't DSII and SGII?

I'm not knocking the work that HAS been done along those lines, it's
good work.  Heck, I've presented some of it to a group of historical
micro-armor players that includes multiple rules designers and the
conversions of tanks into size-classes and the relative strengths of
guns vs. armor stood up to their scrutiny... It's just that the work
isn't as complete and comprehensive as the site I mentioned above.

So... that's what I intend to get started on once I've cleared my
workbench a bit and learned more about WWII.  I _intend_ (hey, maybe I
can pave a road *grin*) to begin a project similar to the above site for
DSII, then consequently SGII.  I want to create something where a WWII
gamer can grab a set of DSII/SGII rules, a printout of sections of my
project, his collection of models, and then start learning how to use
SGII and DSII to play WWII games.

I just have a whole LOT to learn about WWII... *sigh*  I'll need help,
playtesters, critics... etc... I'll try to recruit some local historical
players to my cause...	Once I get started, I'll post results and
information on my homepage for this group to maim/spindle/mutilate and
comment on.

This is all headed toward my Uber-goal of running WWII, Moderns and
Sci-fi based games at Origins next year...

(Gaah!	I don't know if I'm breaking a big project down into small
pieces, or just letting the contract grow larger.  I hope it's the
former, as the latter means it's doomed to fail.)

--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

"You don't install Linux on the desktop for the same reason
you don't stick table saws in your kids' bedrooms, or give
a contractor a squeeky hammer to build your house. Real men
use the table saws, and let the kids use the squeeky hammer
to bonk each other on the head."  --  Seen on Freshmeat

Prev: Re: [SG] meets [RL] Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1287