Prev: Re: A new member... Me! Next: RE: Colonizing other places in ours sytem

Colonizing other places in ours sytem

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:36:27 -0400
Subject: Colonizing other places in ours sytem

I've seen lots of sci-fi about making mars
habitable by giving it an atmosphere (ignoring
perhaps that the retention of molecules of
various type is I believe a byproduct of
gravity!). I've seen similar thoughts about the
moon. I've seen thoughts about living inside
domes. And they've talked about (I think)
Ganymede or some other moons as possible
places to live.

But what I haven't seen is anyone suggest how
we beat the gravity problems. I've seen studies
by NASA (I believe) and others that seemed to
indicate that long term exposure to lower or
zero gravity depressed the human immune
system in an AIDS like manner. I've seen studies
that suggest you get bone density problems
that can't be fully offset by excercise. So, how
do we live on the moon or mars for a long time
barring the development of large scale,
presumably energy consumptive, gravity plating
that lets us simulate something like 75% or
better of a standard gravity? I mean this alone
seems to make Mars infeasible with today's
tech. We could go there, but it'd do a number
on us if we tried to live there....

Any thoughts? References?
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: A new member... Me! Next: RE: Colonizing other places in ours sytem