Prev: Re: A new member... Me! Next: Re: A new member... Me!

Hyperbear Fixed for NS4.x and Reply to Tom (was Re: Allan's spongy paintjob)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 07:30:41 -0500
Subject: Hyperbear Fixed for NS4.x and Reply to Tom (was Re: Allan's spongy paintjob)

First, thanks goes to Indy. He pointed out that my web site had some
major
problems in Netscape 4.x. The problem had to do with cascading style
sheets,
and some things that Netscape 4.x interpreted differently from both IE
and
Netscape 6 (both of which I'd used to test the web site).

It's fixed now, you can now see _both_ pictures, and the pictures don't
overrun the text. You can also see the background now, and the blue
border is
gone from the buttons.

Now, to reply to Tom...

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:26:10 -0400, "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@magma.ca>
wrote:

>Nice, though I do admit to having trouble
>picking out the Fawn colour.

Thanks, Tom.

The fawn colour does show up better "in person". It might have shown up
better
on the figure if I'd bothered to haul out my photo flood lamps to take
the
picture. Instead, I cheated and just used the overhead light in the
dining
room and a blue filter...

The fawn is a more subtle colour than I'd originally planned, but it
worked
well on the actual model. The fawn could really be used as a dry brush
colour
on that timberline. At any rate, I'm going to stick with it for the
other 6
APCs.

The next thing to paint, in 25mm for SG2, will be the 8 GI-Joe LAV-25s I
was
able to pick up (though I had to go through Wal-Marts in four states to
get
them...). I'm trying to figure out a way of painting them without
getting
paint on the axles or tires (or maybe I just don't worry about it...).

>Anyway, I appreciate the picture and the advice.
>I'm going to try this on my 4 Gauntlets, as soon
>as I decide on a colour scheme. It'd sure speed
>up the painting on 30+ unpainted vehicles....

It really, really surprised me how quickly the paint job came together.
I have
some pill boxes I need to paint, and I'm going to use a different paint
scheme
on those. I could finish all four pill boxes in about an hour.

>However, I was wondering if you could provide
>specific info on the decal sheet used.

Sure. I said they were "Phoenix decals", but that's wrong. I'm fixing
that on
the site, today. They are Pegasus Decals. Someone on the list pointed me
them. I found them here:
http://www.hannants.co.uk/

The set is PEGD7205 German WWI National Markings Vol. 1 (Maltese
Crosses) in
1/72 scale. I popped the item number into their search engine on the
main page
and found it easily. Here's the page that came up on the search engine,
complete with picture:
http://www.hannants.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.pl?Mode=view&Database=cat&R=PEG
D7205

I really, really liked the Maltese Crosses on the top, right hand corner
of
the sheets. These are essentially four triangles pointing inward. I
thought
they were a good, fresh sci-fi look. Unfortunately you only get four of
any
size on the whole sheet, and I knew I needed at least 2 per vehicle. In
the
end, I chose to go with the ones you see on the vehicle, which are
actually
close to modern German markings.

I ordered them from Hannants, and they arrived promptly. One thing, the
decals
say not to use any third party decal setting solution on them. In fact,
found that I needed to use such a solution! Maybe it was just the paint
used, but I used Champ Decal-Set, and it worked great.

>Sweet work Allan! :)

Thanks again, Tom!

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:
http://www.darkicon.com/Library/randsent.htm

Prev: Re: A new member... Me! Next: Re: A new member... Me!