Prev: Re: The GZGverse UN Next: Re: Beer crates, again...

[DS2] VTOLs, Confidence and other questions

From: "CS Renegade" <njg@c...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 20:43:42 +0100
Subject: [DS2] VTOLs, Confidence and other questions

I haven't trolled around all the FAQs for this, so if I
err, please club me with the appropriate URL..

VTOLs can be in three modes: Grounded, Low and High.
Grounded isn't a problem, but the other two are causing
some confusion in my group.

1) What can a High VTOL shoot at? Firstly, can it shoot
   down at a ground target, and if so at what penalty?
   Secondly, can it shoot at another High VTOL? Again,
   is there any penalty for this "dogfighting"?

2) Can a Low VTOL shoot at one in High mode? If so,
   does any penalty apply? Does a Low VTOL receive any
   benefit if it is being shot at by High aircraft?

DS2 pg 41 doesn't address these issues, though pg 42
does give us the "only LAD and ADS can attack High
aircraft" rule.

3) Can ZAD attack Low VTOLs, or is that the preserve
   of "ordinary ground units using direct fire"?

In our DS games, Confidence appears to manifest itself
in three levels: Exuberant, Cheerful and Doggedly
Determined. Rumour has it there are other levels, but
we've yet to experience them. We've tried to tighten
up our games, taking every confidence test and (most)
reaction tests the rules throw at us, but nothing
seems to run away. I can't think of more than two
occasions in four games where a unit failed a reaction
roll, with the near-certainty that it would perform
next turn.

Lacking lists, we're using a random table for Quality
and initial Leadership. All units are Confident to
begin with, mostly Regular and average Leadership
perhaps 1.6 or thereabouts.

Granted, we're not using leader markers so none of
those +3 threat tests are popping up, and our units
are fairly small (typically three or four figures)
but lethal so they tend to "buzz-saw" each other
before morale can really take effect.

Given the above, should our games be fairly "morale-
free" or have we got something completely wrong?

Prev: Re: The GZGverse UN Next: Re: Beer crates, again...