Prev: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: OT gas prices: (was: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!

Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:08:29 -0500
Subject: Re: Modelling: How to remove epoxy

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:28:15 -0400 (EDT), "John Crimmins"
<johncrim@voicenet.com> wrote:

> Also, I hate seeing Lincoln's face staring up at me, reminding me that
my
> troopers are all dead.  Again.

In TomB's case, it would be the queen! Or a bunch of maple leaves.

>Also agreed -- and I still use Epoxy, for when I want those superstrong
bonds.

The problem with epoxy is that it deteriorates with age rather badly
(though
if you paint a model it seems to "lock it in" better and it doesn't
deteriorate quite so quickly).

I haven't found a problem with the strength of super glue. I don't use
the
regular strength stuff, though. I use either Zap Gap filler (the green
bottle)
or Flash medium strength (gap filling) glue (also in a green bottle).
For
really super bonds I use Flash gel (yellow bottle). I haven't found it
better
or worse than epoxy. Certainly it isn't as stinky as epoxy, or messy,
nor do
you have to worry about that "sweet spot" in epoxy when it's just
starting to
set and is at it's best for easy of use.

The other thing I like about super glue is the super glue accelerator.
It
works particularly good with the gel. I glue my figures to washers, then
glue
gel onto the washer around the figure's base. Before the glue sets
(actually,
before it runs off the base!) I spray it with accelerator. It's the best
stuff
I've found for filling in the area between the base and the washer.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:

Prev: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: OT gas prices: (was: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!