Prev: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend Next: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend

Re: [SG] firing weapons on the move

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:12:49 +0200
Subject: Re: [SG] firing weapons on the move

TomB wrote:

>1) spotting
>If spotting is subsumed in fire combat, then yes, I'd have to agree
that
>this was a somewhat
>reasonable penalty. However, I myself perfer to maintain discrete
spotting
>mechanics as it
>works a bit better (people don't shoot at things they haven't spotted,
nor
>do they randomly
>lose track of units they knew about). But if you subsume spotting in
the
>shooting rolls, I'll
>concede this.

There are two types of "spotting". The first is "learn that there is a
hidden unit near point X" - which is what the discrete SGII spotting
mechanic on pps. 25 and 50-52 are concerned about, and which causes the
spotted unit to be deployed on the gaming table.

The *other* type of "spotting" is the "spot the known enemy unit
accurately
enough to fire at it". Knowing that there's an enemy tank hiding in that

clump of trees because someone else has told you so doesn't mean that
*you*
can see that tank well enough to aim accurately at it. You need to spot
it
with your own targetting sensors first - and if you move, your chances
do that are reduced for precisely the reasons Allan and Laserlight have
already listed. Since there is no discrete mechanic for this type of
spotting, it must be subsumed into the fire combat mechanic.

>2) unmodelled terrain
>You suggest that unmodelled terrain may cut target visibility. Why do
we
>never have this
>problem when our units stop otherwise?

"We" do; *you* just haven't noticed it because it is subsumed into the
fire
combat mechanics :-) The most explicit mention of the effects of
unmodelled
terrain that I can find in the rules is the SGII "In Position" mechanic
for
infantry.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend Next: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend